Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Series of Quite Fortunate Events

So I've have an agglomeration of small trips that will all be featured in this blog post, so get ready. For starters, my flatmates and I checked out Broadway Market two weeks ago, and I was pleasantly surprised by the Turkish presence there. I saw an Umut's grocery store, an Ephesus Restaurant, and spoke to some Turks running a local shop. But the icing of the cake would have to be this:


Yes, that would be my cafe. I wish. I didn't get to go in because we saw it in passing while on the bus, but I will definitely head back there soon and hopefully meet the owner.

On another day, my Shakespeare class took a trip to the Borough Market area as well as the Globe Theater. 


It was a really cool walk and I really enjoyed the history of the area in relation to Shakespeare (I know, I'm a nerd). I never knew about the bear baiting that went on during Shakespeare's time or how the south side of the Thames was comparable to the Red Light District. There was also a cheese shop in the market area. Needless to say I was tempted to come home with a wheel of brie.


We also saw the Cross Bones Graveyard, where thousands upon thousands of prostitutes were buried. 

Going there was an eerie and chilling experience, but I was extremely intrigued by the history. The craziest part to me was that the prostitutes were part of the Winchester Geese, which were essentially the church's prostitutes. The gate in front of the graveyard was covered with memorabilia and ribbons in remembrance of those buried there.


I just really enjoyed this building we saw while on our walk.


Last Friday, I saw 39 Steps, which was absolutely hysterical. It was a four person cast and done phenomenally. We then went and partied it up....at M&M World. One of the signs said it was open until 3 AM, which is quite bizarre considering the majority of pubs close at 11 PM. I'm still convinced that M&M World has a secret, top deck night club.


This past Monday was my friend Caroline's 21st birthday, so we obviously went and celebrated at the Sherlock Holmes Restaurant. It was a really nice experience and the interior was pretty fun. The food was moderately priced, but super delicious.


To end off the night, my Shakespeare class went to the Globe to see A Midsummer Night's Dream, which was an OUTSTANDING production. We had groundling tickets, so we stood the whole time, but the show was so great that it did not even matter.


The stage was more ornate than I had expected, and the cast was hysterical. The show ran quite seamlessly.


When leaving the Globe, the River Thames and bridge looked beautiful. This is one of the reasons why I not only love the city, but why I love living on the river.

I still have more blogging to catch up on, but I am way too tired to do any more tonight. This weekend I am also going to Amsterdam and Bruges, so be prepared for many pictures of waffles, cheese, and clogs.

Until later,





No comments:

Post a Comment