Tuesday, August 19, 2014

9 Tips For The Panicked Student Studying Abroad

Exactly one year ago, I was preparing myself for a semester abroad in London, panicking about every little detail imaginable. I was secretly hoping I'd have a Lizzie McGuire experience where I'd become an international pop star and have a scandalous affair with a British version of Paolo, but to my disdain, that didn't exactly happen. That being said, my four months abroad were the time of my life and I'm always extremely excited when I can give advice and suggestions for those going abroad as well.

In lieu of mourning the fact that I am not returning to Europe this fall, I thought I would put my nostalgia to good use and give you 9 tips before heading off to what may be the most spectacular journey of your life.

1. Pack light.
              
I'm sure you've already heard this spiel, but it is important you actually do so, unless you want to have an unfortunate situation at the airport on your way back like I had. I overpacked and damn, I regretted it. If you pack two suitcases, I suggest keeping the second one a bit light, so you have room for all of your worldly purchases and keepsakes.

2. Don't be a cheap ass.
.                                             
No, you don't have to buy a Burberry trench with the matching rain boots if you are in London, or a Louis Vuitton luggage set from Paris. I'm talking about when you really want those handmade Greek sandals, but are debating it because they cost 35 Euros; you probably shouldn't hold back. Chances are that these kind of purchases are a once in a lifetime opportunity, so if it is within your budget, go for it.

3. Bring comfortable, sturdy shoes.
             
Sure, you may want to strut around looking fly AF in your slightly uncomfortable wedged booties that complete your perfect fall ensemble, but it's REALLY not that practical. I would stick with comfortable sneakers, boots, or flats because the odds of walking everywhere are quite high.

4. Don't neglect your city/country.
                 
Weekend trips are awesome, but don't book EVERY weekend away from your designated country. Spend a few weekends getting to know the city and different parts of the country you are in. After all, you did decide to study abroad there.

5. Get a filtered water bottle.
                                  
Staying hydrated is important, and one of these bottles are a great investment for making sure that you can do so without the risk of getting sick from unfamiliar water. Whether it's a Brita or a Bobble, having a filtered water bottle with you is a life saver. It is cost efficient and great for the go as well as all of your weekend trips. 


6. Take risks.
            
Now I'm not advising you to break into Kensington Palace to find Kate and little Georgie, but try new foods, make new friends, and go a bit out of your comfort zone. I promise, you will thank me later.

7. Figure out the public transportation.
             
This will most likely be your main source of transportation when you aren't walking. Not only is it useful to figure out, but you will feel so accomplished when you become a pro at navigating the metro or bus system.

8. Respect the culture.
             
You are about to enter what may be a completely different environment than what you're used to, and you might be seen as an outsider at first. It is important to respect the culture, even if you may not completely agree with their practices. Try your best not to be a loud, obnoxious American. For extra bonus points, try and incorporate different phrases and customary actions whilst in the country. Most of the locals will be either impressed or appreciate such gestures. 

9. Cherish every moment.
           
This is your time to explore, be independent, and have experiences of a lifetime, and it is going to fly by. Make sure to take advantage of all opportunities and treasure your time abroad. Don't forget to capture all the special moments and most importantly, have fun.

Travel on,

No comments:

Post a Comment